Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Samsung RF268ABBP appears to be working but the control

Customer Question

Hi, my Samsung RF268ABBP appears to be working but the control panel is not responding. The only thing lit up are the four 7-segment numbers. all 4 are completely lit but the 3rd from the left has the bottom segment flashing. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This segment flashing is your error code. It means that the fan motor that blows air onto the icemaker has failed. The icemaker fan motor will need to be replaced and then you can press and hold the upper right and upper left corner buttons on the control panel to reset the error. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit has two ice makers, which one has the bad motor? How do I replace the motor?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The icemaker fan motor is located behind the back panel inside the freezer in the upper back left corner, that is the fan you are replacing. You'll need to remove everything out of the freezer including the shelves and the icemaker itself and remove the back panel inside the freezer to access the fan motor for replacement.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read your response and have removed and ordered a new motor. I will not know how to rate your answer until the part arrives and the problem is solved.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok well good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the fan motor and re-assembled the unit. I attempted to reset the display per your instructions. At first it didn't do anything, but after several attempts I realized you have to hold the two buttons for about 10 seconds. All appeared to be normal until I realized the top ice maker was not working and the ice that was already in it was mostly melted. I had not been able to use the ice dispenser because the display was locked, so I didn't know the ice maker was not working. I cycled power on the refrigerator and the original problem returned (bottom segment of the third digit was flashing). I was able to reset the display by holding the two buttons for about 10 seconds. I repeated this whole process twice with the same result. Standing water in the ice compartment tells me the compartment is not cold enough. Is it possible that the error code was actually for the top ice maker fan and not the bottom one?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it doesn't specify which icemaker is faulty when you get an icemaker fault just that one of them has failed, but if your issue continues then yes it does sound like your top icemaker would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly how do I check/replace the fan for the upper ice maker? The error code returns when I cycle the power. The air in the ice chamber is not cold enough to freeze the water even though the air in the refrigerator compartment is at normal temp. I don't see how it could be the ice maker itself unless it generates it's own cold air. Where does the freezing air come from? Is it ducted from the freezer compartment or is there a separate compressor just for the upper ice maker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now replaced the fan motor and ice maker. Still no joy. I removed the fan assembly and verified that both fans were working. I did this by taping over the freezer door switch and visually seeing both fans in operation. I re-assembled the unit and verified that the freezer fan was blowing air through the vents. The icebox vent was getting no air flow. I repeated the process thinking I must have put it back together wrong. I once again verified that both fans were working. I re-assembled with the same results. Then I found that the icebox vent blew cold air if the freezer door was open. The door seal only needed a slight break to make it work. It would appear that a vacuum is created when the door is closed preventing the air from flowing. Is this a problem you have seen before, or have I done something wrong in the re-assembly? Thanks, Frank