Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our 22 year old Amana refrigerator is producing an intermittant,

Customer Question

Our 22 year old Amana refrigerator is producing an intermittant, low frequency buzzing sound about every 50 seconds while continuing to cool since last night. Is this sound worthy of consideration for repair on such an old refrigerator or should the refrigerator be replaced now? We have important plans for the next three days and wonder how long we can expect to have the appliance to continue operating (even with the buzzing sound).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That buzzing noise is quite a big problem and it's not likely that the refrigerator will continue cooling much longer. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?