John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have the LG french door fridge with ice and water

Customer Question

hello. we have the LG french door fridge with ice and water through the door. water was leaking into the freezer and causing large ice dams. Then noticed that the ice cream wasnt frozen and temp couldn't get cold enough.
took whole thing apart; found debris in the freezer drain. cleaned coils, vacuumed, etc. now still not getting cold enough and not making ice. freezer fan is running and no clicking from the compressor
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Is the evaporator coil frosted over its entirety?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it may have been since there was ice and frost all over the bottom of the freezer but we emptied it and unplugged it overnight to allow it all to melt before taking it apart to find the food debris in the drain in the upper back of the freezer.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Take off the cover then and look at the coil as I need to know this with 100% certainty. Reply whenever you have the answer in case the unit needs to run a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK that will take a while since it's a big job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

husband it was absolutely frozen solid before he turned it off.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
That would indicate a defrost issue, so the unit should cool fine after the ice was cleared if nothing was damaged by that ice build-up. I will await the answer about the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that is what we thought but it did not fix the problem. Everything was cleaned, drain is clear, coils, etc vacuumed. Still not getting below 32 in freezer and hanging at around 44-45 in fridge. fan in freezer blowing cold feeling air.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting on the answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's frosted up big time.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
This is not defrosting. You will need and know how to use a voltmeter to figure out what has failed as only 3 parts are involved, so it is simply a process of elimination.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. we don't have one but relative does. what has to be checked?

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
two things at the coil- see if the heater that runs under it has continuity thru it. On the right side there are 2 sensors with one wire harness- see if there is continuity between the brown and blue wire. The harnesses unplug easily and you can easily see what wires go to what, so testing takes just minutes. If you read no continuity then that part is bad. IF both parts test fine then you need a new main board on the back of the fridge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. it will be a while to get it and test. will be in touch. This thing has been a problem since the day we spent a small fortune on it. No more LG for me.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You now know what is wrong and what to test for in order to solve this no-defrost issue, so my work with you is pretty much done as you need to do the diagnosis and appropriate repair as I described. A rating is appreciated for the help. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so now we have replaced the sensor in the freezer and the control board and we are still not cold enough and not making any ice. fan is blowing cold air

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.
I have exhausted what I can do with you thru typing. I am making you an offer for live help.