Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool - Once every 1-3 hours or so, my whirlpool fridge

Customer Question

whirlpool - Once every 1-3 hours or so, my whirlpool fridge will spontaneously erupt with a series of clunks/bangs that can be heard throughout the house. Sounds like tap dancing.. or small hammers beating against a small drum.. it has that random-staccato rhythm of popcorn popping.
The sound only happens while the fridge is running, but otherwise, I've detected no pattern. I've lifted the bale on the icemaker to disable it, so this has nothing to do with the water line or the icemaker itself.
It's coming from the upper left-hand corner of the refrigerator (fresh food) compartment, in the back.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This knocking type sound is very distinctive and it occurs shortly after the compressor starts a cycle. It's called "gurgling". They call it gurgling because the refrigeration oil works it's way up through the capillary tube into the silver evaporator coils. Then when freon starts to go through the capillary tubes it causes the oil to pop loudly like 2 wooden blocks hitting each other which is what causes the gurgling. To fix the issue 100% the heat exchanger with the capillary tube would need to be replaced which is a $500 repair or so. The other options that Whirlpool came up with later was to add some dampening material on the evaporator where the capillary tube connects to the evaporator. That absorbs the knocking and makes it much much quieter. Below is a link to the kit you'd need to order for your model. CLICK HERE for kit We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couple of questions - will this get worse with time? Are we causing any harm by letting it gurgle?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No harm whatsoever by letting it gurgle. The unit can run 10-20 years like this and it's possible that it'll get worse but if it does then it just pops for a longer duration is all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and good luck.