Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ge pvm2070sm1ss touch pad not working replaced main board did

Customer Question

Ge pvm2070sm1ss touch pad not working replaced main board did not help cleaned ribbon contacts on help pad lighte up fan and light buttons work
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this is a very well known problem and the issue is your control panel, not the control board. The issue is well known because of the ridiculous cost that GE puts on their control panel and the fact that they decided not to sell the panel in separate parts. The control panel part number you'll need to order and replace is WB07X11143 but unfortunately the part is about $600 or so, so it may not be worth fixing but that is up to you. I'm very sorry about the bad news today. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I take panel assembly and attempt to fix it? What is the real failure? I see a company on the net that fixes the panel if I send it to them. What are they doing? Why can't I do what ever they are doing?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I've never seen or heard of anyone able to refurbish one of these control panels but you can always try. As far as technicians are concerned, it doesn't matter what the real failure in the control panel because nothing is sold separately so I really couldn't tell you which individual part has failed on the panel because GE doesn't even give wiring schematics for anything like that since it's sold as one assembly and that's the only way it can be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that part is is 2 pieces of metal, a piece of plastic, a keypad, ribbon cable, and RTV holding the key pad in place. I didn't want to replace a part. I was trying to find out if there is a contact where the ribbon cable connects to the pad that is the common failure.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is not. I realize you didn't want to replace a part---no one does. That doesn't mean you have another option other than replacing the microwave if you don't want to replace the part. Those are your top options and I can't control what fails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you can't control what fails but do you know what the common failure point is?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
the control panel is the failure point as I stated before. What fails on the control panel---no idea and no one would.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone does because they are repairing then. Maybe you being an expert you should try to find out. That way you could help the next person that has this problem. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
They are not repairing them, they are replacing them as every technician is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are replacing a $600.00 part for $125.00? I don't need a reply
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Have a nice day. I'm glad I could help you determine what was wrong even if you don't see it that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After spending most of the afternoon on the net I found the cause of the failure, moisture. If you are going to charge $28.00 for advice that is something you should have known. Sorry I wasted my money.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
And again, you have to replace the touch control panel. The $28 wasn't wasted. The problem is exactly what I told you it was---a faulty touch control panel