John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Our two week old whirlpool refrigerator model WRF532SMBM00

Customer Question

Our two week old whirlpool refrigerator model WRF532SMBM00 serial number K51912972 has started making ice cubes that smell and taste terrible. Color and shape is ok. This is abut 4th. try making ice cubes. First two were ok. Nothing smelly or bad in freezer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
hello. my name is ***** ***** i am an appliance tech and i can help you tonight. This is a common complaint and is usually due the machine being new. When water sits inside the machine for a while, while the ref is in manufacturer floor, before it is sold and shipped out, it can cause the water to become stale. It is very common. It can take a month or so before the smell goes away. I would suggest continually flushing the lines and at the door. just get about 40 ounces from the door. This will completely empty the tank. Do this three times and then the water tank inside rate ref should be good. Now for the ice, you will need to remove the ice bin and clean that with soap and water. next, with the bin out i would recommend rinsing the ice maker mold out. And it is better if you can remove the ice maker. If you can remove it it will make the rinsing of the mold easier. If not just get a cup or turkey baster and flush it out that way. Then put everything back and let it run for a day or so. If the smell gets better then you should be good. Just keep and eye on it for the next month. If smell doesn't get better then get back to me here and I will help you more.