Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have French door style ge fridge, gfe28hshdss to be exact,

Customer Question

I have French door style ge fridge, gfe28hshdss to be exact, purchased and installed in May 2015. This morning the lights inside both fridge and freezer went out and the compressor stopped running. The unit is getting power. I can still hear a little bit of fan noise and the lights and control on the display still function. However, it will not dispense ice or water. I checked the breaker and receptacle and everything there is good. I unplugged the fridge and let it sit for 2 hours. The compressor kicks in and the lights and dispenser function properly, but only for a few minutes.
What can I check and how can I check it before calling GE?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
More than likely the main control board is bad. You need to replace the board behind the unit. It is behind the unit on the back wall behind the small panel. Part #901 at this link CLICK HERE