Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Dishwasher. model- mdb6650aws . It does not

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Dishwasher. model- mdb6650aws . It does not do a good job washing Dishes any more. Need help in trouble shooting and repair .--Dan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If the dishwasher doesn't wash well anymore, it sounds like it's time to manually clean the filter inside the pump assembly. The pump will need to come apart and there is a plastic mesh filter inside that you can remove and clean with white vinegar and a toothbrush, or you can just replace it. Either way, below is a video on how to take the pump apart to remove the filter. CLICK HERE for video Also, clean any of the wash arm holes with toothpicks if they are dirty at all.We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that going to be the same on my Maytag he is working on a whirpool.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
So Maytag was bought out by Whirlpool in 2006 so everything made since then (including your model) is actually a Whirlpool built dishwasher. So the short answer is "yes, it'll be the same".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great I will do this on Saturday . I will leave this open till than case I have a problem-Thank You
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
that is fine just don't leave it open forever as I see you have done more times than not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those filters are not that dirty hardly anything there yet the dishwasher not working well. What else could it be?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
If it's filling up with enough water to cover the floor then you're looking at a bad pump and motor, clogged holes on your wash arms which you can clean with a toothpick, or your heater is bad. Those would be your options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. At see the bottom of the dishwasher. What are you trying to show me exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Look at 67 and 69 that is the condition of the filters. Would that little bit affect washing?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That isn't the filter that gets clogged so no that wouldn't affect the unit from washing well. You need to take the pump apart further to get to the internal filter which I gave you a video for so that you know how to access the filter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
67 shows the filter in the video. He goes no lower than that..
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what these random number like "67" mean. You need to get to filter 8 on the diagram in the link below. End of story. CLICK HERE for diagram
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
and if that filter is clean, then what I said is accurate. If it's filling up with enough water to cover the floor then you're looking at a bad pump and motor, clogged holes on your wash arms which you can clean with a toothpick, or your heater is bad. Those would be your options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes filter 8 as shown in image 3967 shows some stuff on it would that be enough to affect cleaning?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what image 3967 you're talking about, but if it's clogged that definitely will cause problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did u get the files I uploaded?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5 files
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Nope, just got 1 picture of the base of your dishwasher.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that is the prob her is image 3967
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ok no that doesn't look like enough to cause a problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is another filter
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That filter has nothing to do with the problem so no, the filter are not the problem--you need to move on to the other things I mentioned. As you said, the filters are not the issue if they are clean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is another filterkkk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK how diagnose moter
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, this is now taking a lot longer and requiring a lot more detail than you original paid for so I'm going to opt out and I wish you the best of luck.