Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Cannot figure out HOW to remove the extending drawer slide

Customer Question

Cannot figure out HOW to remove the extending drawer slide rails in my freezer (side by side) - Kitchen Aid Model No.: KSRS25FTBT01.
I'm replacing the defrost thermostat (done) - but now want to go "all the way" and replace the defrost heater - just to be sure we've replaced all possible culprits. But can't get the darn drawer slides off and it's going to make the job nearly impossible without them out! (BTW: Problems all started with a warm refrigerator and cool freezer.)
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
contact me in whatever method - e-mail or phone - is the quickest
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If you pull the slides out, it will expose a hidden screw. The parts breakdown is shown at the URL below.
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/0/00106232/680/900
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a little insulted. I found a hidden screw - but it only unscrews one screw enough to loosen. It's a screw that is bolted in from the other side of the exterior panel of the fridge and doesn't come out completely. Loosening that screw doesn't help unless you can get to the second screw which is hidden behind the extension slide (white plastic). As with most every other extension slide drawer that I've ever encountered before, there must be a release/latch to remove the slide and then remove the stationary retainer. I've found the KitchenAid diagram - which you provided a link to - but that does not provide ANY information related to the removal of the drawer glide. If you aren't intimately knowledgeable with the part and the particular refrigerator - you shouldn't be answering and causing me to incur a charge.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure how you would be insulted, but that was certainly not my intent. If you need more information, you don't need to do any more than simply ask. Once that screw is removed or loosened, the glide assembly will slide forward. Look at the picture of the part at the URL below, you will see how it works. The screws along the back do not come out, they are part of the glide assembly.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Grille/2301543/1058545?ss=-x32333031353433&mr=0
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't see any hidden screws in the picture/URL yOu forwarded. But it does appear to show a lever of sorts (black tab) where the slide meets the retainer. And interestingly enough, that lever isn't present on any of my slide rails! Where is it that you see a hidden screw? The only screw I can gain access to is the one furthest to the back (when the slide is fully extended) which anchors the retainer to the freezer wall.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the screw you need to loosen or remove to allow the assembly to be removed. When you loosen that screw, can you slide the glide at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Can't move the slide at all. There is another screw (in the retainer) hidden behind the plastic slide that I can't get to because the plastic slide is blocking it. And it is tightened down enough that the retainer won't budge. I've tried this in almost every one if the tracks "just to see" if it would work.