Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I'm getting a very runaway flame with a lot of yellow in it.

Customer Question

I'm getting a very runaway flame with a lot of yellow in it. I adjusted the gas down because the flame even in low was very high. I'm thinking this cooktop is not set up for propane. Can you provide the parts I'll need to convert it and basic instructions on how to convert it. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. This cooktop comes set up for Natural gas and would need to be converted to propane. On propane without being converted the flames will be too high and making soot on the bottom of pans. Is there a number after the S in the model number? What are the first three digits of the serial number? I need this to be sure we get the correct instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no number after the S in the model. the serial is 16650962EV
Okay, thanks. Here is a link to the installation instructions. Conversion to propane starts on page 5. The kit you need will have 4 orifices and is number 74006048. Please let me know if you have questions about this. http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/Installation%20Instructions%20-%208101P406-60.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you access the orifice? Do you have to remove the cooktop from its recess or ???
You need to remove the burner module to see the orifices. Here is a link to your owners manual. It shows how to remove them on page 6. The other steps to convert are in the link I already shared
http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/Use%20and%20Care%20Guide%20-%208111P530-60.pdf
Do you still need help?