Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Today I bought two LG 14,000 BTU portable air conditioners

Customer Question

Today I bought two LG 14,000 BTU portable air conditioners (LP1414GXR) and the compressor on each shuts-down after a minute or two on each one. Do you have any suggestions of what I should check before returning them? Customer service was useless. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, how hot is it in one of the rooms you're trying to cool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It's very hot, maybe 83 derees.
Have you tried running them early in the am when it's cooler to see if they will run properly? I've seen these have issues when they are used in extreme heat situations. Usually 90 and above and they will kick off like this. They can not keep up with the heat.
Try it in the morning and if they work it's the heat that's causing it. I don't see two different units doing the exact same thing out of the box. I suspect it's heat related.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you