Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I recently replaced the intake valve on my new Maytag washer.

Customer Question

I recently replaced the intake valve on my new Maytag washer. I shut the washer for the winter because I close my house. Apparently there was water in the valve so it cracked. The replacement was easy, couple of hoses couple of wires. THe washer starts and runs but doesn't drain and displays the F9 E1 error. I checked the drain and it is clear. I ran water from a hose through the line from the connection in the back of the machine. I also ran a wet vac from the other end of the drain to suck out the water in the machine, so that line is also clean. I also disconnected that small black tube next to the drain hose and blew in it(was told to try that also)it sounded like I was blowing into a straw into a glass of water. When I turn on the machine, it goes for a while, fills up with water, this the error displays. The machine is less than two years old. ANy ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, you have a bad pump, broken wire, or a faulty control board. The error indicates a drain issue which on these washers usually indicates a clogged filter or faulty pump. These pumps are known for overheating and shutting off which will cause this error code. Usually after the machine has been running for awhile.
Based on your complaint it sounds like the pump does not even attempt to run? That would indicate a faulty connection or broken wire or board. Double check the connection on the pump. The two wires that plug into the pump. Check the little plastic connector. Make sure the prongs inside are making good contact. If you have a meter, ohm the two drain pump wires from the pump to the board. One may be broken. If both wires and the connection are good, the control board is not sending power and will need to be replaced.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't be back at my house until Friday so I cannot test anything before then. Like I said, the machine is brand new and this is only a summer house so it doesn't get used that much. It was working fine before it was winterized. Did I mention that it is a front loading machine? I will try this out on Friday and call or contact with results.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't rate the advice because i couldn't remove the pump to test it. On this model washer if you remove the screws at the bottom front panel, you can only lift the panel about 8 inches before you have to stop because of the gasket around the window( there are no instructions as to how to remove that). Unfortunately, nobody services our location so I have had to go it alone. I really don't think it is the pump because it was drained for the winter and worked fine before it was closed and is practically brand new. SO, rather than give a "bad" rating I thought it would be nicer if I just explained why I was not satisfied with the advice.