Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The thermometer on my Dacor fridge, PF36BNDFBK, has been showing

Customer Question

The thermometer on my Dacor fridge, PF36BNDFBK, has been showing a much higher temperature than it's supposed to (like 59 for fridge and 23 F for freezer). However, the food seems to be cold in the fridge and frozen in the fridge. What could be causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the control board actually saw those temperatures, it would keep the unit running all the time to get to the proper temperatures. I would start by resetting the electronics. Unplug or turn the breaker off for at least an hour. Does the display change when power is restored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just turned it off (it's 7:30 am here). I will leave it off for one hour. But the page says I have only 10 minutes left to get advice from you. What do I do? I'm pretty desperate as I wrote first on Monday night and just got answer. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That information is for chat conversations. This is an unlimited Q & A thread now, there is no time limit. Sorry for the confusion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll write back after the hour to let you know what happens.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Left it off for an hour. It started off at 38 but is back up to 62 where it has been since Monday evening. I have pressed the "max cold" button to try to get it down more quickly. We have been thru all this before except that I hadn't left it off for an hour. If it's going to work, should I see it coming down in the next hour or 2?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the actual temperature 62* inside? Or is that just what the display reads?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what the display reads, and I assume it's pretty accurate b/c the food inside is only moderately cool. Freezer reads 27 F.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change in temperature after more than an hour. Is set on max cool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can hear a fan running in the freezer section. And, yes, there is frost on the back wall inside the freezer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the issue is a defrost problem. Doors open and unit unplugged for 36 hours will allow a thaw and cooling will be restored. Do you have a meter to test various defrost components with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Unplugged and doors open. My husband is not home. He may have the meter.
When it defrosts, will it flood on my floor??
Will check in again in 36 hours--Saturday morning.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There is a pan under the cabinet that is designed to catch the defrost water. You can put a towel under the freezer panel where the frost is to catch some, too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has now been 23 1/2 hours since the fridge has been unplugged and open. This morning when I got up at 6 AM, there was water all over the kitchen floor. I just returned home, and there has been no further leakage of water. Everything is warm to the touch. It is 109 degrees in Tucson right now. Do you think I may be safe to go ahead and turn it back on to see what happens?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it has thawed by now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx. Back on at 2:30. Will let you know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 30 hours back on, the fridge is at 38 degrees tonight! However, the freezer has only been 22 all day--so won't make ice (only makes ice when it's between 0 and 2F. It's not nearly full now. What does this mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freezer won't go below 20F even on quick ice. Any ideas???
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If the freezer is not getting any colder and the coil is not frozen totally over (which it isn't after thawing), you have a sealed system issue. It likely has a refrigerant leak and will require professional repair. You can expect $300-400 + parts for this repair, more if it is a weak compressor.