Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My kenmore elite French door fridge is barely making ice. The

Customer Question

My kenmore elite French door fridge is barely making ice. The water line is not kinked, the temp is the appropriate 0 degrees. I am flummoxed!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, I was going to say check the condenser coils and make sure they're clean. If the coils were dirty or if the fan on the blows air across them was not running it would not be 0 in the freezer. It would be closer to 15 which is where the ice maker needs to be under in order for the thermostat to close to call for water and harvest.
Since it's 0 degrees for sure the ice maker is the only thing left. Unfortunately, the ice maker will need to be replaced because it's shorted.
Double check that the fan on inside the freezer on the left is running. These models have to freezer fans. One to cool the unit and the other to cool the ice box. The fan on the left behind the back panel inside the freezer sometimes fails and the ice box does not reach 15 or below. If it does not, the ice maker will not advance.
The ice maker part number is ***** You can get it from any local appliance parts house or from sears parts.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you