Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a whirlpool GI6FARXXY07 fridge with the freezer on bottom,

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool GI6FARXXY07 fridge with the freezer on bottom, two fridge doors and ice maker in the fridge. I think it's only 2-3 years old. The ice maker does not fill with water although the water dispenser on the door works. I honestly don't care about the ice maker but wanted to mention it in case it's relevant. We also had water leaking out the bottom of the freezer drawer a few months ago. The back of the freezer behind the drawer was frozen. I thawed it and this hasn't happened again. My real concern is that although the freezer is cold enough, the fridge hovers between 44-46. Every now and then it'll be 40 for a few days. I've had two fridge repair techs out to service it. One said the main board needs to be replaced but that he really wasn't sure, it was just the first thing to try. Based on the price we didn't do it. The other person said it was likely the damper, which has been replaced and didn't help. We've also tried unplugging the fridge for an hour to reset the board.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.
It sounds like you have a icing or defrosting issue blocking the vent on the back wall of the freezer. That will cause the high refrigerator temps and the issue you are having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can you suggest to determine if this is the problem? If it is, what is the repair?
Can you send me a picture of the back wall of the freezer? You can upload it right here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to remove anything first? There's a drawer, and behind it looks like a plastic panel covering
I just need a picture of the back wall...if you can take it with the drawer in or out that is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm hoping its attached
Ok great, now with the door open in the freezer and refrigerator put your hand on the vent in the REFRIGERATOR section in the upper back, do you feel a good breeze coming from it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To me it feels like barely a gentle breeze. I can tell you the tech that came out said it was working.
Ok it will be a decent breeze, but if you close the freezer door does the breeze change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's the same
Ok and the refrigerator barely gets past 40 right? If so can you remove the back panel on the freezer to check the evaporator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, hopefully this shows you what you need to see
Yes that is the issue the unit is out of freon and has a leak for sure. You likely have a slow evaporator leak on it and would need to get that replaced to fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night I found online that this isn't a repair for a diy-er. I called our third repairman this morning and was told if it was a freon leak or evaporator issue the freezer wouldn't be cold. Also told that freon leaks aren't repaired anymore, and that to replace the evaporator and charge with freon would be so expensive that we should buy a new fridge. But the repairman said he's replace the main board. Can you explain what makes you think it's a freon leak and if there's a way to test for sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What it looks like this morning
That evaporator looks good now, but is the fan running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so. I put a thermometer in the freezer and its 2-4 degrees, set at 0.
OK is the refrig good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still 44-46
OK then either the damper is not working or the chute to the refrigerator is blocked with frost. Now lastly have you checked and made sure the condenser is clean and the fan next to the compressor is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually changed the damper a few days ago, so I'm fairly sure it's not that. Is checking the chute just something I'd see? From the freezer up to where the damper is?For the condenser, I actually think it isn't clean. I've had trouble accessing it, and have only been able to reach the front portion.
Pull the unit out and remove the back panel to get at the compressor and fan. See how the fan is working and put your hand on the compressor and see if it is very hot to the touch. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got the back off. The fan was running. I'm not sure if you can see, but there is a small amount of water on the bottom just under the little copper pipe. Is this just water?
That may be some condensation, is the compressor hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Warm but not hot. Ok to vacuum out?
Yes that is ok. You can check the chute tube with a mirror and flashlight. That is the chute channel above the fan motor inside the freezer for frost. Other than that you could have a bad fan or possibly a compressor that is just not pumping down good enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my husband called out a whirlpool tech. He ran diagnostics and said everything works fine. He called the whirlpool tech line, and the person said it might be the damper (which we replaced) or the fan motor hats up in the ice maker inside the fridge. I replaced that yesterday. In almost no time the temp was 38. Then it was 45. It hit 40 once since then but has mainly been at 44-45. At one point I heard he fridge come on so I opened the door to check that new fan. It was making a quiet noise that I haven't heard before, and wasn't running. I banged on the side of the ice maker box and the noise stopped and fan came on. Of course the temp still hasn't been ok.Do you have any other thought? We are just bleeding money and it looks like we're going to have to buy a new fridge to replace this expensive, 3-yr-old fridge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I couldn't locate a chute to check for frost