Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Dish washer will not start when start resume button is pus

Customer Question

Dish washer will not start when start resume button is pushed
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Can you select all the different cycles and options? The dishwasher just won't start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all cycles and options are accessable.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, turn the dishwasher off so that no lights are on. Press the Start/Resume button and does the control panel illuminate or is it still blank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normal and heated dry lights come on but not start resume
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then your touch control panel has just failed and the touch control panel doesn't know you're pushing the start button so the touch pad will need to be replaced. The touchpad is about $130 depends on the exact model number and color of your appliance. To locate the full model number just open the dishwasher door and look around the front frame of the tub for a sticker which will have your full model number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Last night i closed the door good and when i pushed the start/resume button it worked and the dish washer did fine. You still think it is the panel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does(###) ###-####sound right? It is the only numbers or letters i can find on the door.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you were saying before, but I'll try to be as clear as I possibly can. 1. If all the lights are off and you press the start button and the control panel lights up---your control panel is NOT the problem the control panel is working because it recognizes that you are pressing the start button. 2. If the control panel is not your problem, then your door latch switch isn't engaging for some reason and the door latch is your issue. Try to bend the metal striker down at the top of your tub to make better contact with the door latch. If that doesn't work then replace the switches on the door latch. And no that is not your model number. The number is ***** on the door itself. it's on the frame of the tub.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried bending door latch but same thing keeps happening normal and heated dry light comes on but start/resume doesn't do anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found model and serial numbers on inside of tub.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are switches easily accessable?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
For the most part, it's just built into the latch inside the door. To take the door apart, just open the door and remove all the screws around the border of the inner door liner going down vertically. The door will then split apart and then you can remove the latch to see the switch for replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I think i understand. I wonder if i should not just go ahead and replace the dishwasher all together. I found a new one for around $250.00
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's up to you but $250 for a new dishwasher if it's the same quality would be the way I'd go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K thanks for your help and if i decide to try and replace swithes where would i get them?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
With your model number, you can pull up the parts diagram at Searspartsdirect.com and order any parts for your dishwasher there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks again. Have a good evening.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You do the same and no problem at all.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?