Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My kenmore washer 417.42042100 is leaking somewhere but I don't

Customer Question

My kenmore washer 417.42042100 is leaking somewhere but I don't know where and I want to fix it. It's a small leak so we've been putting a towel on the ground next to it. It still washes great, but I want to locate the leak and fix it. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
These older front load washers can leak form numerous areas so the best thing to do is just remove the top panel and the lower front panel and watch to see where it's leaking from. My guess would be that it's coming from the front rubber door gasket, or the center seam between the front and rear outer tub. To remove the lower front panel, just remove the 2 screws in the bottom right and left corners then the panel will pull down, forward, and off. To remove the top panel, pull the washer forward and remove the screws going into the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. If it's leaking from the front door gasket, the entire gasket would need to be replaced. If the center seam is leaking on the tub, that requires a new tub gasket and the tub must be split apart to replace it which is a major repair and takes many hours so you may need a technician to do this repair.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The leak is not coming from the front door. If it was I would see water running down the front right?The water is coming from underneath the washing machine.We have a technician coming out today to look at it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not exactly no. The door seal does seal up with the door, but if there door seal isn't sealing up with the tub or a small hole has formed in the door seal, it will leak down through the inside of the washer in front of the tub.