Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Washing machine

Customer Question

washing machine
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
That means either the pump that is mounted to the motor is jammed, the red wire to the motor plug is burned up(lowest wire on plug to motor). The start capacitor is bad, you would need to check it or replace it. The motor could be seized..check that as well and lastly you may have a bad contact in the timer, but check all the other things first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where's the best place to start I notice sometime ago that after the water filled, it didn't start but then it just started working
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we just got home from church. before we left and we noticed the burining smell, the timer wouldn't make any noise. Now, when you pull the knob out, it has a low hummm
Check the lowest red wire on the modular plug to the motor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i'll have to remove the front of the machine and get back to you how long are you avail
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what would cause the red wire to burn up
That connection gets loose and handles all the load of the motor, that is very common to corrode and go bad. CLean off the terminal on the motor and tighten up the modular female socket and it should be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can i do it later and get back to you?
Yes for sure, just please rate my service and if that is clean and not the issue we can go from there. I will be in and out today, so just wait for my post back if I do not respond right away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i'll get back to you asap
Ok cool!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hey I'm back. Pulled the front off...There is a pile of rubber dust under the motor. maybe it is the coupler in the past when it goes, you can always hear the motor spinning not now though any ideas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
may the dust is just wear and tear which wire are we looking at?
The coupler may be stripped totally off, maybe you just have a bad drive coupler. Take the motor off and look at it. The motor just pops off on the two clips. If all the pegs are broken off, it is bad for sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
took the motor off coupler ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are 2 plug in wires and i large connector on the motor all seem fine
Ok then remove the pump and make sure you can spin the inner shaft and then remove the modular plug from the motor and check the red wire and terminal on the motor there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is ther a way we can speak by phone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i type poorly and have to run back and forth
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are u there
Yes I am here, a phone call costs a lot more for you to do. If you want to do that I can send you a link for it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i didn't get a response from u I had to log out and then get back on for another fee is there anyonje else