John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a whirlpool gas dryer WGD8200YW1. It is about 4 years

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool gas dryer WGD8200YW1. It is about 4 years old. It has never dried in 1 cycle. Service techs have replaced the funnel and scoop per a service update. Also the temperature sensor and hi temp cutoff on the funnel. The check vent light goes on after a few minutes, even though vent is clear or even disconnected. Gas flame stays on for 15-30 seconds and turns off so drum never really gets hot to dry clothes. No one has been able to solve this. The exhaust thermistor reads 14K ohms at 65 degrees. Maybe it is bad as it heats up. Any ideas? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.

Does the unit blow air out of the exhaust?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Even with the vent disconnected it will go on
Have you tried to remove the exhaust thermister anf just leave it hang out then see if the unit runs for longer to rule that out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I just bought a new exhaust thermistor I'm going to try tomorrow. Maybe I'll try to have the thermistor hang out first and see if that helps. I'll let you know tomorrow.
ok sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the exhaust thermistor and left it hanging out. The check vent light still went on after 5 minutes. I'm drying clothes now to see if it will dry in 1 cycle but I have doubts since the flame only stayed on for 30 seconds at a time. Then I have to wait about 2 minutes before it kicks back on. Anymore things to try before it might be the control board?
Thanks
Are you certain all the seals are good in the dryer?