Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a KitechAid oven, and I took the door off. When I tried to put it back on, the hin

Customer Question

I have a KitechAid oven, and I took the door off. When I tried to put it back on, the hinge on one side locked in the closed position. So, one side is as it should be with the door, but the other side is closed. How do I get the hinge that is locked open so I can reinsert the door?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have the model number ? did you lock the hinges before removing them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KEBS109 is the model number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One hinge was locked, the other wasn't...that is the problem.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
you are supposed to manually lock the hinges before taking the door off , did it just come loose? did you just pull it off without locking the hinges? right now is the door on the range or loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door is off of the range...I locked the hinge on one side as specified, but the other side was not locked when it came off and I can't figure out how to spring it back into the locked position so I can reinsert it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I got the door off of the range, I took it apart so I could get to the hinge that is not locked. It appears that there is a very strong spring that needs to be compressed to allow the hinge to be placed in a locked position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is my only alternative to buy a new hinge??
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok , you have to put the door on edge with the hinges up ,grab a blanket or thick cloth and basically put your weight on the longer end of the spring and push down until its close enough you can join the lock ,its the only way , brute force
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ive done it a few times , it is strong but putting your weight on it is a lot easier than trying just with your arms