Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have ice crystals all over the freezer and not cooling in the refrigerator

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the freezer door may have been left cracked open if everything inside the freezer is frosting up and the refrigerator is warming up. By the door staying cracked open the unit will build up too much moisture and over frost preventing air from going to the refrigerator from the freezer so the refrigerator warms up. You can remove everything and remove the back panel inside the refrigerator and thaw everything out with a hair dryer so that it works again, or you can just unplug the unit for 24 hours and everything will thaw out on it's own. Now the other possibility is that the fan behind the back panel inside the freezer has just failed and isn't circulating air properly anymore. So if you thaw everything out and the fan won't turn on behind the back panel inside the freezer, then that fan needs to be replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?