Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Tyler, I have a sticky orange liquid under my refrigerator

Customer Question

Hi Tyler, I have a sticky orange liquid under my refrigerator and wondering what that could be.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave, Tyler does not seem to be available. What you describe is cause by condensation and rust as well as a little fluid that washes off the insulation. It is not the refrigerant as you know because it does not affect cooling. Let me know if you have further questions.
Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes out often and I keep cleaning up the residue. To this time, no effect on cooling. What would cause it to continue to come out and how do I stop it?Some reading says that potentially, the closed system has been breached. Thoughts on how I verify that?
No, it is not the sealed system but if it happens often it is defrost water. There may be a crack in the pan or the drip tube is missing the pan. Shine a light underneath and if you can't see the pan you will need to pull it out and remove the bottom cover depending on your model. Let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, the orange looking water is coming out in the middle, about the second shelf. The GE Profile Side by Side.
Attached is a picture.
Ah! Not sure on that model but it could be a blocked defrost drain. I will opt out so a GE expert can jump in to confirm for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Thanks Dave!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume I don't need to do anything but wait?