The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a 3 way refrigerator in my 2015 Travato. At 1800' ASL(purchase

Customer Question

I have a 3 way refrigerator in my 2015 Travato. At 1800' ASL(purchase altitude) igniter ( propane) worked well. At my home 6512-7000'ASL I have to manually light making it a two person job. In the manual it states there may be issues above 3600'ASL. Is there a remedy-? different regulator etc. Once lit works like a charm.
Best Regards
Keith Cochran
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
The only thing you can do is replace the gas "spud" (jet) with a smaller one. The problem is you have too much fuel and not enough oxygen at that altitude for the spark igniter to light the flame. You can do it with a match but a spark igniter will not light it.
What is the model number of the refrigerator. I can see if there is a high altitude kit available.