Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator. I noticed today

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator. I noticed today that the refrigerator temperature indicator as well as the freezer temperature indicator light were displaying
Er and FF respectively. I also have a problem with ice buildup in the back of the freezer. This results in the fan making a lot of noise as if the fan blade is hitting something. I have been told to remove everything from the freezer and unplug the unit for several hours which seems to take care of the problem temporarily. Are these two issues related?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
These issues are one in the same. Er FF means that your freezer fan isn't running properly. That is due to all the frost build up hitting the fan blades. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer. Unplug the freezer first of course. Next, if you have a multimeter test continuity through the heater along the bottom of the the silver evaporator coils where the frost is forming and if it doesn't have continuity, replace it. If the heater does have continuity, replace the defrost sensor clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils. Other than that, the unit will work normally for 2-3 weeks when you thaw everything out until you can get the faulty part replaced. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?