Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE model GFSS 6k kyss water is leaking below the deli

Customer Question

I have a GE model GFSS 6k kyss water is leaking below the deli drawer how do I get to the drain tube
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today. It sounds like you're on the right track. This is actually a very common issue with your refrigerator and the water is accumulating under the deli drawer at the bottom of the refrigerator because the drain line is backing up. If you look at part number 97 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that part number 97 is that the entire back wall inside the refrigerator and is it a bitch to remove
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's the correct part. There are a couple screws at the bottom to remove and then it should just pull off and unclip but there may be ice behind the panel holding it in place so if that's the case then you may need to thaw behind the panel with a hair dryer to free the panel up so you can remove it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay I lost you so after you remove those two screws that panel should come right off is the drain tube at the bottom of the panel to where you can easily pour water into it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Correct yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then I assume I'll need removed the back bottom panel behind the refrigerator to get to the drain how long of a job is this and is it quite easy
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No you shouldn't need to if you have compressed air to blow down the drain hole. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to complete this job really.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so remove everything from inside the refrigerator so its just a shell on the inside
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that back panel just pull out to take it off
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I explained already. There are a couple screws at the bottom to remove and then it should just pull off and unclip but there may be ice behind the panel holding it in place so if that's the case then you may need to thaw behind the panel with a hair dryer to free the panel up so you can remove it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?