Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have an existing portable AC unit that just makes a fan noise

Customer Question

I have an existing portable AC unit that just makes a fan noise when it's cooling a room. I'm trying to buy a second AC unit for a different room, but of all the models I've tried, there is a steady buzzing/humming sound in addition to the fan noise. The buzzing/humming usually kicks in a few seconds after the fan noise, and it's difficult for guests to sleep through. What is it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! That is the compressor kicking on and it is a must if you want cool air.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. However the reason I mentioned my first AC unit in the question, is that it runs *without* making a buzzing sound, and it still cools the room effectively. You said the air compressor is "a must if I want cool air", but how come my first AC unit cools the room just fine without making a buzzing sound, and how come I can't find a second AC unit for the loft that does the same thing?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The AC you have now may have better sound insulation, but it has a compressor in it. The unit below is rated as one of the quietest.
http://www.whirlpool.com/-[ACP102PS]-1003919/ACP102PS/