John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Maytag Performa dryer stops mid cycle. I had a serviceman

Customer Question

My Maytag Performa dryer stops mid cycle. I had a serviceman come out and work on it in April and he did a tune up. It worked up until a couple weeks ago. I replaced the thermal fuse and thermostat. It is doing the same thing. Could it be the cycling thermostat? All hoses, etc. are free of any obstructions. It blows air quite forcefully when it does work. I noticed it gets very hot to touch on the front of the dryer towards the bottom near the blower motor. Help please. Diane
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
Ok when you it stops do you mean the dryer stops tumbling or just stops heating?
And which of the three thermostat did you replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dryer stops tumbling and feels hot to the touch on the outside near the blower motor. I replaced the thermal fuse and safety thermostat near the heating element.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After it cools it will start tumbling again
ok was the safety thermostat open /Bad
And when it shut off are you able to go right over to it and turn it right back on or do you have to wait a few minutes before it will restart?
Ok so if you have to wait and the thermal fuse has been replaced your issue is the motor itself .
No other thermostat kills the voltage circuit to the motor other then the thermal fuse ,and it is a one time fuse it will not reset itself.
Do you have a temperature tester to test the exhaust temperature to see if the operating thermostat is not opening and allowing the dryer to get to hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not have a temperature tester to test the exhaust temp. Where is the operating thermostat? Is that the thermostat that is on the blower motor?
no the operating thermostat is mounted on the blower housing .Has a Yellow and A Red wire on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I replace the operating thermostat?
Did you test it to see if it was faulty , or are you just replacing these parts with out doing any testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm replacing without doing any testing. I'm don't have any mechanical/technical skills whatsoever. I just know how to put things back the way they were. I live in a remote area and its hard to get a technician to come out.
ok sorry my Computer system was down a couple of days.so I assume then you do not have a volt ohm meter then to do zany of the testing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I kind of gave up on you and ordered the thermostat that is on the housing of the blower motor. If that doesn't work I am going to just purchase a new one. Need a dryer and its taking too long to fix myself. Thanks
ok no problem ,good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you