Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a side by side fridge / freezer that quit cooling the

Customer Question

I have a side by side fridge / freezer that quit cooling the fridge. repair man was called and the fan had a bad bearing and was replaced. also the plastic diverter chanel in the freezer was mis aligned so the cold air wasnt getting to the fridge. after all is back together and running things are cooling down but taking forever. Started at 1pm and it is 9pm now. Freezer is at 15degF fridge is about 45 degF. How long should it take? I bought some fridge / freezer thermometers to put in each.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it maters this is a Wirlpool Model ED25RFXFW00
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** iam happy to help you with your question today..hs it dropped temps even further in the last hour?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After restarting the unit with everything at room temp inside (1PM) we kept the food iced down in coolers til about 6PM. Refridg temp was about 50°F. Since it was still cooling left it and went to bed. I check temps this morning. Freezer is at +5°F. Fridge is at +40°F. Hopefully it will drop more on the fridge side. All settings are at facory recommended locations. This is loaded with food, so the mass to cool down may be affecting it. I did make sure the return vent inside the fridge is clear. Is it normal to take that long to cool down. This is a 1999 model unit with a sealed compressor system (according to the service guy). Checked the coils and they are clean.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
fridge at 40 is a normal fridge temp as is the freezer pretty close ,depends if you are reading air temps or liquid , but it can also take that long depending room temperature and it also probably went thru a defrost cycle, being a 1999 fridge the compressor and fan can take a little longer than normal ,but those temps seem right in range
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the freezer about 3/4 max cool and it is controlling around 0°F. I have the refridgerator set at almost max and can't get lower that 40°F. I have some air flow from the supply into the refridgerator side. I also verified that the return to the freezer is not blocked. Acording to the thermometers I am on the top limit of safe temp for a refridgerator. I would think that with the controls set the way they are that the refridgerator side would be freezing everything. The freezer seems to be freezing things to well. I know they say 40°F is a normal temp for a refridgerator but I don't want to control at the top limit. I took the cover off the fan in the freezer side to make sure the air flows OK. I used a hair dryer on cool to blow air in the bottom return and the top supply in the freezer area and verified I had flow to the refridge side. Any ideas?