Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a Whirlpool double oven that has developed two

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool double oven that has developed two problems. The model number is ***** First of all the temperature is inconsistent and does not match up to whatever the oven is set to. This requires constant tweaking of the dial while baking to maintain the proper temperature. For example, yesterday in order to get & maintain the oven to 350 degrees, we first had to set the oven to 310, then 320 midway through, then around 300; this was over about 20 minutes. I've been told the oven's temperature can vary by about 50 degrees, but this seems excessive and it never used to do this. So it's likely that something is broken, correct? Secondly, the clock on the front stopped running last week. That wouldn't seem like a huge issue, but we discovered that we are now unable to use the self-clean function as it is apparently tied to the clock. This oven is very old and we will be replacing it within the next 2 years, but not immediately as it is still useable for the most part. The new oven will cost around $3000. Given our time period and the cost of a new oven, I would be willing to spend around $300 in the meantime, or perhaps even slightly more, to fix the temperature and/or clock issues. What would you say are the problems? What parts would I need to fix these issues and about how much would they cost? Thank you!

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, you do have to issues it sounds like. The heating problem is going to be a faulty thermostat. The thermostat on these models controls the temp. If the temp is off, the thermostat would need to be replaced. The part number is ***** Unfortunately it's no longer available. I've checked everywhere that I know of.
The second problem is the clock itself. It's actually a small control board. The board is also no longer available. The part number is *****
Unless you can find these parts on a dusty shelf or have them rebuilt by someone there's not way to fix the problems. Try calling the local parts houses it's possible one of them has one on a shelf.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your speedy reply. The temperature problem we have is in the upper oven. Just to confirm, the thermostat, part 311479, is for the upper oven correct? Because on a parts site it's described as "Thmst-Ovn Lwr".

Thanks!

Yes, they only had one on the diagram and it was the lower oven thermostat. It looks like the upper is part number 310017.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm a little confused. I need the thermostat for the UPPER oven - which is the correct part number?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

It looks like the upper oven is part number 310017.
Thank you