Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a side by side refrigerator that is about 10 years old

Customer Question

i have a side by side refrigerator that is about 10 years old GSS22WGPA.
The ice maker is creating frost at the front and the frost accumulates in the door shelf.
in addition, the ice maker does not dispense cubes anymore and only delivers water and crushed ice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, do you see frost on the bottom of the ice bucket where the ice falls out into the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frost is at the bottom of the tray, on the front and the in the round slot that the ice travels down to the glass or cup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not feel that I am getting any solution to this issue. Am I doing something wrong. Am I out of time? I do not want to incur any additional time or costs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hanging up and canceling this call as I am not satisfied
Hi, sorry I'm having connection issues.
You're not out of time. If you still want to continue, please respond back.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I still want to get this diagnosed
Thank you. The flap inside the freezer door by the ice bucket is not sealing correctly. It's letting warm air travel up and the warm air is hitting the cold air and creating condensation and freezing. Behind the ice bin there is a small square box. The part the metal rod on the bottom of the ice bin goes into the square hole. That square hold has a solenoid that lifts the arm up. That solenoid is frozen that's why the dispenser will not work with cubed ice it's stuck.
Usually the seal wears down or tears. Make sure nothing is stopping it from touching the plastic inside the dispenser housing.
You can get the part locally or from the link below.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge-ice-door-assembly-wr17x11653-ap3672582.html
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that fix and let you know if it worked
Sounds good. Good luck with your repair.
Thank you