Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

There is no power on the water dispenser or Ice and no light

Customer Question

There is no power on the water dispenser or Ice and no light either, but the refrigerator works fine
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today. Can you tell me what part number you replaced? Did you replace part number###-##-####or part number###-##-####inside the dispenser? If the unit is acting completely dead, it sounds like the dispenser power board has failed and needs to be replaced which is part number###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its part###-##-####
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK that is just the front touchpad, unfortunately you need to replace the dispenser power board if the dispenser is completely dead which is behind that touchpad board. The part number you need is###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
initially the water actuator (the part you push so water comes out) was actually broken, so replaced it, but when I put everything back together nothing was turning on
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hmm I can't imagine what you could have done to cause that issue except maybe you installed the ribbon cable between the power board and the front touchpad board upside down? Other that that you'd just looking at a new power board still.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yup thats probably what I did. UGH! just spent $100 on the wrong part. btw, the new part (241708102) comes with the ribbon right?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It does not. But if the ribbon was installed upside down, just unplug it and install it properly and the problem would be fixed. Installing the ribbon upside down doesn't do anything to the board, it just can't communicate between the two boards if it's not installed properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I tried installing it both ways but still no power
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then that would leave only the ribbon cable itself or the power control board. The ribbon cable is part number###-##-####if you wanted to replace that first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think when I plugged in the Water Dispenser Actuator to the board that i may plugged it upside down that might have fried the board?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That wouldn't fry the board so no I don't think that would be a problem. You may want to check the wire harness that runs through the freezer door hinge to make sure that the connector didn't get loose or get a burnt pin on it or something like that, but other than that I'd start by replacing the ribbon cable and if you still have problems, replace the main power control board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm ok. one more quick question, Wouldn't there still be power to the lights on the water dispenser even if the ribbon is not connected to the control board panel?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No there would not be.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?