Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I replaced the heating element in my range no problem. The

Customer Question

I replaced the heating element in my range no problem. The new one went right in but only one of the two legs makes contact with the oven bottom. When the breaker is on and the oven is on there is no heat in the element, but lit the suspended leg touch the foil between the element leg and the range bottom and sparks fly. Do I need to have both legs grounded.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You have something miswired. Unplug the range! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelvinatoro 440" Model RF54BW. Don't know how to mis wire the element. There are tow seprate wires attached to the coil and the terminals are 6 inches apart.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, you will need a meter to test the voltage at the cord connections, testing each outer terminal to the middle, looking for 120 VAC. Then, test between the two outer terminals, looking for 240 VAC. I suspect you will find those voltages off because the neutral/ground is being energized or there is a short somewhere. Let me know what you find.