Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Bosch washer WAS20160UC which has a set of 9 led lights

Customer Question

I have a Bosch washer WAS20160UC which has a set of 9 led lights but no LED display. The machine is flashing the following set of lights (X means flashing, _ means off)
_ Max Spin _ Wash
_ Reg Spin X Rinse
X Reduced Spin X Spin
X Gentle Spin X End
_ No Final Spin
What does this error code mean?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if my beautiful text graphic made it through. The pattern of the lights is visually the left column (spin) has the 3rd & 4th (top to bottom) lights of 5 flashing and the right column has the 2nd, 3rd, 4th (top to bottom) flashing. I found the following diagnostic process online in the attached doc. You can also see a video of the flashing lights & control panel at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_w_Aoc04HHZjFVSk9Qd1huX3M/edit?pli=1 I see that the error seems to correspond to error 67 - "implausible or inexistant variant coding". This is a rental in Hawaii so I have no idea what happened to get it into this situation. I will have to relay any info & diagnostics to a repairman in Hawaii for testing. What I need to know in order for this to be worth $$ is what needs to be done to fix error 67? Error 67 corrective lists "replace control(s)" but what does that mean? Is it saying the control panel buttons aren't working and sending the wrong inputs? According to section 5, variant coding, it looks like I can reprogram the washer to change the spin speeds or 14 other options. I don't think anyone has tampered with it to set any of the 15 variants but is it possible to "factory reset" the machine variants or determine which variant needs to be changed? I will have him try to run the Chapter 1 Automatic Test program and see if that narrows it down. The manual doesn't say what will happen if the test fails. I assume it will throw one of the LED codes shown in Chapter 4, but if it just throws error 67 that won't help narrow it down. Will it sequentially run each test shown on page 2 so that if he listens carefully to where in the automatic test it fails that will be the problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The main electronic control will need to be replaced. The control for your model is available below.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/00705463/2001132?ss=c13-x77617332303136307563&mr=1?rcaid=1000054
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know the maximum possible parts that need replacing because this washer is in a vacation rental in Hawaii and there's a long delay in getting parts delivered. Error 67 in the repair manual doesn't say to replace the boards; it says repeat variant coding or replace the controls. Regarding the controls, does that mean I might instead / also need to replace the user control & display board 00668402? Regarding the variant coding, do I understand correctly that when replacing either board I will need to do the variant coding, so shouldn't I try to do the variant coding first and see if it just needs resetting? Sometimes I've seen PCs that need to have their BIOS reset so I was wondering if these machines can get into the same state. I haven't seen the instruction sheet with the part but I have pieced together that I need the code from my washer "KD Code ME109A 71100X232001004" and I would set the 15 variants from the 15 digits, but do they all need to be set or just some such as speed (variant 1)? I would have already tried that but I have to get a tech in Hawaii to do this so I wanted to get some hints first.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Unless either of the boards have been replaced, the error is a faulty control. The coding between the boards must have worked at one time, so if you have gotten into the diagnostics mode and it will still not reset and work, the main control is most likely faulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I correct about having to set the variant codes after replacing the main control board, and that I will set the 15 options from the 15 digits of the code on the washer sticker? No chance it's the user control & display board?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The user interface is a low voltage switching board, I have never replaced one. They typically fail only if shorted or damaged by high voltage. The control is only showing programming options in the development stage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I have to set the variant codes after replacing the main control board, and will I set the 15 options from the 15 digits of the code on the washer sticker?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It does not appear so, no. There is no programming instructions with the control and the tech info only shows control programming at the factory. I can send you the complete service manual, if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please send it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is available below.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ffgkao5n3ennuch/WAS20160UC_Service_Manual.pdf