John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Tappen gas range with electronic (tic tic tic) igniter.

Customer Question

I have a Tappen gas range with electronic (tic tic tic) igniter. My GFI breaker kept tripping. Entire bank of outlets were out, so burner igniters would not work. Used matches to light burners (old School) to cook with for a few days. Finally traced all the circuits and found the issue was in the vent fan which was wired to the same plug as stove. Replaced vent fan. NOW plugs work and all my burner igniters work. EXCEPT - the oven igniter gets red and hot but seems like there is no getting to the oven. Is there some kind of reset? The stove top works fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, does broil work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I can get the igniter to glow on temps and broil (1 control knob), but seem to get no gas to ignite or even smell gas.
Do you only have one igniter in the oven? Just the one on bottom or is there one on the top as well?
Do you have an amp meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 1 igniter in the center next to just a single gas tube, also in the center. Also only 1 gas orifice since 1 tube. Sure want to make chicken enchiladas!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have an amp meter. just and old school VOM (some where in the garage.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not used the oven / broiler in about 8-10 weeks. It shouldn't take any longer for the sensor to read igniter and gas should it?
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
You say that the igniter gets red hot. Is the color red, orange, or white hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it working late Sunday night thanks.
That is great. :-)