Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a GE dishwasher profile model number is *****

Customer Question

we have a GE dishwasher profile model number is ***** ser# ***** the water is not draining and empting out on the floor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain what you mean by "emptying out on floor"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dishwasher is not draining the water out and it's empiting out on the floor
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
That doesn't really tell me anything other than what you said before. Can you explain what you mean by "emptying out on floor"? Is the tub overfilling and leaking out the bottom of the door onto the floor or??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it appears tnat something is clogging the the tub is overflowing and leaking out the bottom of the door onto the floor
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK so I'm going to assume you didn't change your garbage disposal recently--so if you did please speak up. GE has a very difficult drain pump to access. Since your dishwasher isn't draining, the only way to investigate is to uninstall the dishwasher and access the drain pump in the lower back left corner of the dishwasher. Disconnect the drain hose from the drain pump and blow through it to make sure it's clear. If it's clear, remove the drain pump itself and check for debris in the pump. Remove the debris if you find any. If you find nothing and the disposal wasn't replaced causing this problem, then you'll need to order and replace the drain pump to fix the issue. If this problem started from you recently replacing the garbage disposal under the sink--please just let me know because it's likely not adapted correctly to accept the drain line. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes we did change our dishwasher recently
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Not, dishwasher---the disposal. But if the disposal was changed recently it sounds like you didn't remove the knock out plug on the disposal. The knock out plug is a plastic wall inside the disposal that is there because not everyone connects a dishwasher to the disposal. This plug is right inside the receptacle for the dishwasher drain hose on the disposal itself. You'll need to remove the drain hose and put a flat head screwdriver into the receptacle to see if you feel a solid plastic wall and can't push into the inside of the disposal. If so, then you need to place the flat head screwdriver inside the disposal receptacle and hit the end with a hammer to push out this plastic plug. Once you're knocked it out, be sure the disposal is unplugged and then reach in and remove the plastic plug.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The disposaal was replaced
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ok then just follow the directions I gave you and remove the knockout plug and that should solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We did not replace the dishwasher it was the garbage disposal so the company that replaced the garbage disposal is coming back out to take a look at the dishwasher so that could be the problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The disposal will be your problem if the issue occurred after replacing the disposal. Yes, that will fix your problem. The reason there is a false wall for the drain attachment on the disposal is that not everyone connects their dishwasher drain hose to the disposal. So they put a wall inside the receptacle to prevent water from just pouring out of the disposal. When you install the disposal, you're supposed to knock this wall out before attaching the dishwasher drain line. If you wanted to be 100% certain, you can disconnect the dishwasher drain hose below the sink and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Then drain the dishwasher and if it drains into the bucket you know the disposal is your problem.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?