Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My lg refrigerator shuts off but the freezer is working fine. When the

Customer Question

My lg refrigerator shuts off but the freezer is working fine. When the refrigerator shuts off the light doesn't work either. I unplugged it overnight and when I plugged it back it both lights work. Refrigerator and freezer. When the refrigerator stopped working a set of warning beeps would sound every 30 seconds or so.
The refrigerator has been empty and turned off for one year. I am just now starting it back up.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.
You need to replace the main control behind the unit. There is a panel on the back of the unit. Remove that and there is a board behind it. Order and replace that board with the complete model and serial number from Searspartsdirect.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping for something a little more accurate. Which circuit on the board. I would like to find the bad components and replace them. Also I understand it could be in the sealed system. These parts are expensive and I don't want to be guessing. Is there a way to test and make sure it's the board?
Are you asking to troubleshoot board level components...triacs, resistors etc...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I already know the board is shutting it downbut why? What's causing it. The refrigerator was working fine when I put it in storage. Now when I plug it in it works and then shuts off every time I plug it in. Remember the freezer continues to work fine and freezes just fine. If it's the board I can locate and replace bad components but I need to know which circuit on the board is causing the problems and is something causing the circuit to go bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Repairing a system board isn't a problem but I need help trouble shooting it. I can't test individual components once I know where to look and what it controls.
Let me see if another expert can assist