Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Tyler, have whirlpool cabrio Wtw5500xw3 washer. My problem

Customer Question

Hi Tyler, have whirlpool cabrio Wtw5500xw3 washer. My problem is that you can put clothes in the washer and hit start and the lid locks and the washer sits there & grunts and then it will test the weight and after about an hour the clothes are wet but not washed. I replaced pump but no change. Washer is a year old. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dave. On this style washer we will need to get codes to determine the problem. It sounds like it could just not be getting enough water? The link is to a video that will be very helpful for diagnostics. The text will back up the video. Let me know what codes come up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYm66Kl7M4 (Whalen WPL video)
ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES
1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).
2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.
NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.
RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.
a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.
b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.
c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.
d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.
e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.
 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.
NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.
When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.
Press the start button.
Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.
If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.
The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).
Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.
After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
F7 E6 error codes
Okay, that is a motor fault code but it may not be the motor. The capacitor is in series with the motor as well as that re coil of wire up under the tub. Can you see the wire coil? That has been known to break where it is tightly wrapped by the wire ties. The wire breaks but not always the plastic cover. If you have a meter you can check the wire. If you find a break it can be repaired if insulated properly.
I just noticed I had a typo. The coil of wire is RED. Let me know what you find.