John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Whirlpool quiet partner 980 series du980pcdb4 door won't

Customer Question

Whirlpool quiet partner 980 series du980pcdb4 door won't latch. It appears the spring thing is aligned with the wedge thing but the only way I can get it to drop down behind the wedge and latch the door (and turn on the washer) is by prying down the outside
bar (that the fingers push on to release the latch) with a screwdriver. The screw holes in the back of the front panel are stripped. I drilled holes in the front and put long machine screws in to hold it in place but it's possible the whole assembly is misaligned.
Even with the screwdriver prying down I still have to push very hard to get it to latch. I don't understand what the problem is, it's horizontally aligned and as far as I can see, vertically aligned. I guess it's not aligned depth-wise but why does it require
the screwdriver?? Do I have to get a whole new front door?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
Ok are you prying down on the door strike (the part that is on the top of the tank?
Or are you prying on something inside the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lever on the outside of the door that releases the latch when you press up on it. That's what I'm prying down on.
ok so your talking about the door release handle in the front of the console in the center of the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
ok do you feel you can take the console off the door?
and take it apart to look at the internal door switch assembly.
because it has three parts that combine the door latch assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can do that.
ok lets go ahead and open the console area and look at the door latch assembly .
Here is a link to the parts break down, so you can tell me what part of the assembly is broken.
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/0/00039600/680/900