Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My refrigerator is not getting cold enough, but the freezer

Customer Question

my refrigerator is not getting cold enough, but the freezer works fine
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the fan in the freezer is running and there is frost
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the fan in the freezer is running , and there is frost on back wall
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! The frost is the reason no air is getting into the fresh food section. Now, we just need to figure out why it is not defrosting. Number 23 in the diagram at the link below is the defrost timer. It is mounted behind the kick plate on the bottom of the cabinet, below the doors. On that timer is a little turn knob. Can you use a flat tip screwdriver and turn the knob slowly clockwise until it turns off? Once it shuts off, listed inside the freezer for any sounds like cracking or sizzling for a few minutes. Anything heard?
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/P8120302-00003.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i hear some crackling
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, nice work! Please allow me just a few minutes to get your information prepared.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
By manually advancing that timer, you successfully forced a defrost. Since you hear cracking noises, we know the heater was energized. That means the heater and defrost thermostat are working. The timer you just advanced is what you will need to replace, it is not telling the defrost cycle to begin. Nice work!
That timer will simply unplug and the new one plug in. You will need to thaw the freezer coil to restore cooling. You can either leave the doors open for 24 hours (refrigerator unplugged) and allow it to manually thaw. Or, you can remove the rear wall from inside the freezer and use a hair dryer to thaw the coil faster. The hair dryer will thaw it in about an hour or less. Once the frost has been thawed, you will have about 5-7 days of good cooling until it frosts up again, allowing time to get the part.
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Timer/215846602/12762?rcaid=1000054
Repairing this yourself will save you about $100-125, very well done!
Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!
Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!