Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a viking dishwasher that isn't working. I came home and thought it was in flo

Customer Question

I have a viking dishwasher that isn't working. I came home and thought it was in flood (continually draining and sucking in air).
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thing I forgot to mention. I replaced the cracked dishwasher discharge hose already.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello
My name is ***** ***** I am an appliance expert and I can help you today.
I see this exact problem often. In fact it is quite common with this and some other models like it. if you have already gone ahead and tilted and dried out the bottom drain pan under the dishwasher tub and given it two days to completely dry out but yet still not working properly then the water that was in the bottom of the pan either from the cracked hose or from over fill, then the water has shorted the main dishwasher control board down on the bottom of the dishwasher. This happens in extreme water cases and is not usual. But is the likely problem since you have dried it out and now when it runs it brings new water in at the same time the drain pump is activated. which makes the dishwasher just fill and drain at the same time and do nothing else.
If the dishwasher is less then 7 years old then it would be worth it for you to replace the main board instead of replacing the whole machine.
I would need the full model number to be able to look up part info for the main board for you. Just get back to me here with that and I will research the part info for you. Or you could just either call viking directly and ask them for the part info and for them to send one out to you. Or even get it from your local appliance parts distributor nearest you.
Just get back to me here if you have more questions or concerns and I will help you more. And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions after rating me positively you can always get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.
Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the model number is ***** Is there something longer than that?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
never mind, I have gotten the part info for your dishwasher.
Click the link below to view the parts info. If you can't click on it then copy and paste the link to your web browser and open it that way.
Let me know if you have any other questions and I will help you more. Thanks again.
http://www.allvikingparts.com/PD160017_COMPLETE_CONTROL_UNIT_p/pd160017.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw in another post online that if the dishwasher still drains after everything below is dry that it you need to replace the flood switch. I know that's not exactly what's happening here (water is also pouring in), but could that be the solution? I get what you're saying and it makes sense, I just thought I'd ask since a flood switch is significantly less money then a new control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the post i saw. http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/f710fe78730c486fa315d58df59b5fa3
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Since it is filling and draining at the same time that alone tells us that it is not the flood switch. If the flood was the issue alone it would not fill at all. In fact the flood switch being activated would not allow any new water to come into the dishwasher at all.
If you would like to star with the flood switch first since it is significantly cheaper go ahead. But I would hate for you to go through all the trouble of replacing that first and then find out that it is doing the same thing and still have to replace the main control.
I would just replace the control board.