Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Interior light stays on all the time even when door is closed

Customer Question

Interior light stays on all the time even when door is closed when door is closed and i push start it states close door.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today. Make sure that the door hooks on the door itself are pulling down and they have spring tension pulling down. if so, then you have a faulty door switch. There are 3 door switches behind the front frame of the microwave. Below is a video that shows you how to test the door switches. The video uses a Whirlpool microwave to demonstrate how to test the door switches, but the process is the same for your model. Just replace the faulty door switch and you'll be good to go again. CLICK HERE for video We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if I try this and this is not the problem then can I contact you again with out having to pay?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course, but there really isn't anything else that can cause the problem other than the main display control board if it thinks one of your door switches is bad so if all the switches check good you'd be looking at a new control board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The video didn't really seem to help as this switch was right out in the open and you need a electrical current checking machine and I do not have one. Any other way I can check this out.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I can't control what tools you have but that is the only way to test the door switch. The only other option would be to just replace the door switches and see where you stand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you hooked up the wrong wire to the switches ie got them backward could this cause the same concern?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes definitely.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes definitely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you send me a diagram of the wiring for the Panasonic NN-SD277B I am sure I have it right but unfortunately when you buy the part it does not give you that info.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is no way I can get that for you. I would have to be at your house and contact Panasonic to walk me through the wiring because you must be a certified technician at the house for them to discuss the wiring on the unit. If you mixed up the wiring then you'll need a technician out at your house to correct it. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I figured it out on my own. I did not have the screws pushed as close to the front of the metal piece when you secure the switches into place the door now closes and the microwave turns on. I was sure I had everything right, just did not think to push the screws up tight thus pushing the switches closer to the door allowing it to shut properly. You never even stated this could be a reason.