Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an rf268abrs samsung Fridge and the compressor stopped

Customer Question

I have an rf268abrs samsung Fridge and the compressor stopped working, the code is 88 88 on the screen, the compressor fan turns on but compressor does nothing no noise or warmth or anything
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
88 88 means that you have an error code on your refrigerator. Can you tell me which segment of which 8 is flashing? That tells me what error code you're getting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
models is actually rf268acrs, but it actually does not flash it's just a solid 88 88
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If nothing is flashing press and hold the upper right and upper left buttons on your display control panel for 5 seconds to reset the error. If it won't reset, unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and try again. If it still won't reset and nothing is flashing on the 88 88 then your control board just failed and the main control board would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now, what goes wrong on the control board. I do board level repair and that's not an issue. what can i test? and how can i tell if the pump is fully functional
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't say, they don't give us the board circuit diagrams so you'd have to bring it to an electronics shop if you wanted them to track down a problem with the board. As an appliance technician, we just replace them.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of key combinations or diagnostics does the fridge have? we have a blinking red light and no power from the inverter board, when we hold the energy saver and alarm buttons for 8 sec is when we get the 88 88
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't. It automatically tells you what the error is by showing the 88 88 with a segment flashing. It has automatic diagnostics which pops up an error code as soon as it detects something is wrong and that error tells you what is wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the control board is the lower one right? not the inverter board right?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Correct, not the inverter board, that actually wouldn't give you an error code if the inverter failed but the temperature would go up to room temperature and the ambient temperature of the refrigerator would be shown on the display. Now if your house is 88 degrees, then that would explain everything and it would mean your inverter board is bad and needs to be replaced. But if your house isn't 88 degrees right now, then your main control board would need to be replaced since it won't reset and it's not flashing a segment.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?