Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My family and I recently bought a

Customer Question

Hello, my name is James. My family and I recently bought a used Maytag fridge, MOD# ***** SER#50362130JG and it usually works great. Every so often it starts making a humming noise from below and everything thaws out. We had a repair man come fix it about 2 months ago and has been fine since....until today! What is the problem and what can I do? We lose a full fridge worth of food each time this happens.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That humming noise is very serious unfortunately. This refrigerator is sell known for the problem and the issue means that your compressor is stalling and overloading until it cuts off. You can sometimes unplug the refrigerator for a few hours and allow the compressor to cool down and the unit will all the sudden begin working again for a few weeks or months, but the fact is the issue will come back. A new compressor would need to be installed to prevent this issue from occurring and it costs about $550 to replace the compressor if you wanted to invest that much money into getting this refrigerator working. I'm very sorry about the bad news today. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?