Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We just replaced the water filter in our Kitchen Aid and now

Customer Question

We just replaced the water filter in our Kitchen Aid and now water coming from the spout is slow and there is a rumbling then hissing sound coming from the filter. IT stops when you let go. Water shoots out quickly at first then comes out very very slow. We have tried flushing and re-installing but same thing every time. Any suggestions as to what it may be? I'll also add the water dispenses perfectly when the Bypass Cap is on.
Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the bypass cap is working, the issue is with the new filter. If you are certain it is installed and locked into place, the new filter is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kelly, we are going to take it back to the store and replace for another filter and ail try again. Can I leave this discussion open until we get the new filter installed again?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Oh, of course! Just reply right back here if you have any other questions. You are not buying the generic replacement filter, are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Hopefully the new filter will work.
No we bought the Kitchen Aid filter that's recommended for our model.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great! Thank your!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
filter just got here and gonna try to install the new one
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, keep me posted! Make sure it locks into place and you run at least a gallon of water through to flush the air out!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should we fill the filter up with water first?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, just install it and then dispense at the door a gallon or so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay and should the water flow be normal or slow?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It will be fast at first until the air flushes through then will decrease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay because this is what we did last time and the water flow was nowhere near nomad…very very slow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
installing now
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If the flow is slow, it is from a pressure problem from the house supply or the valve is faulty, but neither would make the filter leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the water was flowing fine until we tried to replace the filter. THen if we put the cap on it flows perfectly normal again. My husband is installing it right now. Give me a few minutes to see what happens
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, keep me posted. The flow was probably low because the filter was not locking into place and opening the valve in the housing all the way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope, still doing the same thing. You can hear a hissing sound coming from the filter every time you push the button to dispense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The filter locked into place, couldn't turn anymore. Water came splashing out then went to a slow flow. If you put the cap on and push the water button the flow is completely normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and our old filter never made a sound when we pressed the water button.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Have you allowed for a gallon of water to run through the filter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a giant burst of air and water comes out at first almost like something is getting blown out and then it goes to almost a trickle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are using a every drop filter #4 which is the one recommended for Kitchen Aid.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It makes no sense that the bypass cap is working but the filter is not. The housing may be faulty but would not allow the bypass cap to work. Are you using filter part number UKF8001?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yup we sure are.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
So it looks just like the one at the URL below?
http://www.rcappliancepartsimages.com/dbImages/00003566/01072652.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband said they had another brand of filter at Home Depot. He's gonna go exchange it for that one and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes looks like that one but made by every drop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here's the link to the filter we are using https://everydropwater.com
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The filters you are using are "knock offs" and are very common to have issues. You have to use the correct filter. They are expensive, about $55, but you now see what happens when you use the generic ones.
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Filter/UKF8001/1446373?rcaid=1000054
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called Whirlpool/Kitchen aid and that is what they recommended and the ones they sell on their site. It was $45.00 dollars. This is NOT the right filter they suggested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link to the filter you sent me does not list KItchen Aid. It will still work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everydrop if manufactured by Whirlpool….I'm not sure how that would be the wrong filter
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Your model calls for the UKF8001, per the manufacturer's own model look up. If they are recommending another part, it is by a third party company. I have never and will never support using aftermarket parts or accessories.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are using UKF8001. It is what they recommended.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
As you can see when you click on the filter screen, it takes you to a new website. Whirlpool may recommend those in the retail division but they are not OEM filters. I am going to place your question back to the list in case another has a differing opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay. This is the first I've heard of OEM. Can this type of filter not be bought from local stores? If this next filter dose the same thing then we will order from the website link you sent. I wish they had explained all this when I called them.