Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KSC23C8EY fridg. It's not cooling the top shelves

Customer Question

I have a KSC23C8EY fridg. It's not cooling the top shelves of the fridg and there is an ice/frost buildup at the back of the lower part of the fridg. The buildup is behind the meat and product compartments. What could be causing this problem?
Tom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Usually this means you have a freon leak on this particular model. If you remove everything out of the refrigerator and you remove the lower back panel inside the refrigerator you can see the evaporator coils. The evaporator coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom but if they are packed with ice on half of the coils and no frost on the rest of them, it means you have a freon leak and you'll need a technician to repair that. This unit is new enough that sealed systems issues will likely still be under warranty since I believe this unit is less than 5 years old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coils are cold to the touch but there is no frost buildup on any of them. Also, while I hear what I believe is the fan running, I don't feel any air being circulated. Should there be cold air blowing from the filter vent?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There should be air blowing but only when the door is shut and the coils are lightly frosted. If the coils aren't lightly frosted from top to bottom then that confirms you have a freon leak unfortunately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem but I'm very sorry about the bad news today. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It turns out that there is a temperature sensor malfunction. No freon leak.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If that were the case the coils would have been lightly frosted from top to bottom.