Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I bought a new gas range, Model # ***** 510 S 0 AS 2. It came

Customer Question

I bought a new gas range, Model # ***** 510 S 0 AS 2. It came set up for natural gas and included 4 alternate brass gas jets with which to change over the burners from natural gas to propane.
I called the propane supplier to have a technician make this change-over. When he arrived he changed the jets on the 4 top burners and informed me that there were no parts with which to change the oven over to propane.
He left without finishing the job. I called the company again, they sent a second technician who claimed to have made the change over but when I tried to use the stove I detected a strong smell of gas and shut the stove down and called the company again.
This time they informed me that the oven required a separate part which they had to over from Whirlpool. They claimed that the part cost $75 and when they came again, I assume they installed the part, as the oven now works and there is no smell of gas.
My questions are:
1. I bought this stove new from Lowes. Was it supposed to come with a complete conversion kit?
2. What is the price of that part which was necessary to convert the oven to propane?
3. Would a qualified technician have known that a special part was required (if that was indeed the case)?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So to start, no the oven does not come with a conversion kit, that is separate. The only conversion kit needed was for the 4 burners on top which is part number W10170531 which is about $50. The oven bake and broil burners are converted by adjusting the air shutter and tightening down the existing orifices as far as they will go and that is what converts the bake and broil burners so I'm not sure what part they replaced or why.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?