How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 78804
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As I was cooking popcorn last night I noticed a plastic burning

Customer Question

as I was cooking popcorn last night I noticed a plastic burning smell and noticed that there was a burning glow coming from the inside top of the micro wave...I shut down the oven immediately. the stir fan cover had a black spot on it. I touched it and the plastic was melted and there was a hole in this cover. What caused this... I quickly unplugged the microwave and had nightmares that my house was going to catch fire
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
So that cover that was melted is called the "wave guide". Usually this occurs from food splattering on it and then the microwaves reacting to one small spot causing it to melt. Just replace the cover and run a cycle and make sure it's all better again. If not, then you would need to replace the microwave because the microwaves from the magnetron are arcing out to things they shouldn't. Below is a link to the cover you'd want to order and replace. CLICK HERE for cover We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Related Appliance Questions