John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My husband left a couple of nails in a pocket. They fell

Customer Question

My husband left a couple of nails in a pocket. They fell down into the tub and of course it burned the belt up on it. He has the belt replaced but we need to disassemble the agitator and tub to retrieve the nails so they don't cause further damage. Can you tell me how to do this?

You have my money now.  Please answer the question!

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
Ok on this model the agitator just lift off a spline coupler from under the agitator with use it made be stuck on so you will need to use some force to get the agitator up and out of the inner basket
But also I will say id the nails have fallen through the inner basket you will need to remove it from the washer also ,and that is more difficult.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do you find the spline coupler on the agitator? Yes, we expect to have to do that. How do you remove the inner basket? This is why I am looking for help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
He did answer part of the question. But we need to know how to get the inner basket out of the washer to retrieve the nails. We already knew we needed to lift the agitator out but where is the spline? How do we find it? Please provide a diagram so we can see how to do this.
the spline coupler is under the agitator the agitator just slips down on to the coupler
Ok I do not know unless you tell me what you want!
This is all I see that you have asked (He has the belt replaced but we need to disassemble the agitator and tub to retrieve the nails so they don't cause further damage.)
Once you have pulled the agitator off the spline coupler has a bolt through the center of it ,remove the bolt so you can lift the coupler off .
You will then have to remove the front panel and lift the top panel once the top panel is lifted you will need to remove the filter and once the bolts for the filter remove the filter and then you can lift the inner tub out of the outer basket assembly
Tried to find you a video ,but still looking also.
ok dd not find a video but did find the service manual .
Here is how to remove the agitator :
Agitator
1. Open loading door.
2. Remove agitator by placing hands under agitator lip
and pull upward, if agitator is stuck or stubborn using a rocking motion (side-to-side) carefully lift agitator up off drive bell. they are calling the spline the Drive bell.
Remove plug and 7 /16" bolt from top of drive bell.
3. Using care pry drive bell upward off transmission
shaft.
4. Remove old seal from hub assembly by:
a. Placing a flat bladed screwdriver between bottom edge of seal and hub.
b. Using washtub bolts as a pry area, pop off lower seal bead.
c. Grasping bottom of seal and pulling straight up freeing upper seal bead.
to remove the panels :
Service Access Panel
NOTE: Screws located at bottom edge of service
access panel do not have to be removed as the
holes in service access panel are slotted on
most models. Earlier models require removal of
bottom screws.
NOTE: Top edge of service access panel is held in
place by two spring clips located on bottom
flange of front panel.
1. Insert putty knife between service access panel top and bottom edge of front panel (approximately three inches in on each side).
2. Push in on putty knife and at the same time pull top edge of service access panel away from front of washer. Repeat for opposite side.
3. Lift service access panel upward off screws and set panel aside.
4. Reverse procedure to reassemble.
Front panel :
Service Access Panel
bottom screws.
NOTE: Top edge of service access panel is held in place by two spring clips located on bottom flange of front panel.
4. Reverse procedure to reassemble.
And to lift the top panel off :
Cabinet Top
3. Remove screws securing cabinet top.
4. Tape loading door closed.
5. Lift front of cabinet top slightly and pull forward to disengage from rear hold-down brackets.
6. Pull cabinet top forward far enough to permit disconnecting ground wires from top left rear corner gusset of washer cabinet.
7. Disconnect wire terminals from door switch.
NOTE: See appropriate wiring diagram when rewiring components.
8. Lift cabinet top off washer and set along side the washer cabinet on a protective padding.
NOTE: DO NOT lay cabinet top flat because it will damage the door switch lever
Then to remove the inner basket :
7. Remove bolts and washers securing washtub to hub.
8. Lift washtub and balance ring out of outer tub.
If you have any questions just reply back.