Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Tom - We have a 2006 Kenmore Elite french door with pull

Customer Question

Hi Tom - We have a 2006 Kenmore Elite french door with pull out freezer on the bottom model # ***** We moved into this home about a month ago and have a one year warranty with the home. A repair tech is $75. My question pertains to the water pressure in the dispenser. It literally take 3 minutes to fill a cup of water and the stream is incredibly slow and the water is not cold. Is this normal? The unit makes ice, but very very slowly. Actually had to get extra ice in a bag to have on hand in the freezer bc of the recovery time of ice. Second question is the heat this thing is putting off. I put a thermometer in the other cabinets and they ready between 70-74 depending on wherabouts on wall (exterior etc). The cabinet next to the fridge is reading 78 and the cabinet above the fridge is off the scale - past the 90 mark. Why is it sooo hot?? Thanks for your help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If both ice and water are so slow, then either your water filter needs to be replaced, or the water pressure coming to the refrigerator from the house is too low. Turn the water off to the refrigerator and disconnect the water supply line from the back of the refrigerator. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket and turn the water back on to determine if you have good water pressure. The water should be coming out so quickly that you can't think of stocking it by placing your thumb over the end of it. Or if you have a water pressure tester it should be over 60psi. Now this will also cause the warm water since it's filling so slowly the water runs from the filter to the water reservoir at the bottom of the refrigerator where the water cools. Then the water goes below the refrigerator and up through the door which will warm the water up by time it gets to the dispenser. Usually only the first 5-10 seconds of dispensing water is warm until the water inside the lines is purged. But with the slow rate that it's dispensing, it will never get cold water. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do that in the morning and let you know how it looks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?