Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Thin Twin, full size stackable washer/dryer.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Thin Twin, full size stackable washer/dryer. During the spin cycle, it drains, but does not spin fast enough unless the load is very small. Even then, sometimes it won't start spinning until you help it with your hand. I stick a pencil in the lid switch actuator and I use my hand to get it going. My husband thinks it might be that the belt is wearing out and can't catch and get going, especially when there is a medium or large load. What do you think? Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So this issue you're experiencing means that the clutch is beginning to slip and the clutch would need to be replaced. The problem is that this is a stackable washer/dryer unit so it's very difficult to work on since you can't remove the washer from the dryer. You may need a technician to replace the part since the motor, drain pump, and transmission all need to be dropped and removed in order to replace the clutch. The part itself is only about $25, but it is really a challenge to replace on these stack units. Below is a link to the clutch you'd need to replace. CLICK HERE for clutch We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?